Comment from: Peter Kunasz [Visitor] · http://www.pbkimages.com
Thanks for the post. Using MAC intel desktop,10.5.6 CS4 and an Epson 3800, I am getting a very bad image print. Coarse looking, darker, very bad color blending from light to dark. All print setting checked. COLOR MGMNT__OFF . The same file in CS3 prints perfectly. If you get an answer would appreciate a note. Much thanks.
01/01/09 @ 18:09
Comment from: James [Member] Email
posted an update that I received that worked for me.
01/01/09 @ 22:08
Comment from: Peter Kunasz [Visitor] · http://www.pbkimages.com
Update:

atest--

I just downloaded the latest Epson drivers for the 3800, which are different in control panel set ups. Doing another side by side using CS3 and CS4, I find that the two prints now look almost identical, however both now print about 10 percent darker than the monitor image and seem to have have more of an orange cast-- at least for one picture. I tend to think that different people will have different problems--light dark, color cast, etc.

01/01/09 @ 22:38
Comment from: Peter Howard [Visitor] · http://petehowardphotography.com
I've been having the same problem: dark prints with CS4 and good prints with CS3—same print settings, Mac Pro, OS 10.5. I too switched my default printer to my photo printer before printing, and the CS4 problem seems to be resolved. Obviously a bug in the program.
01/11/09 @ 14:42
Comment from: Franklin [Visitor] · http://www.franklinimages.com
I am running Cs 4 and also having problems printing. The prints have been coming out way too dark, I reloaded CS 3 and will print from there.I also can,t get 3 D to work from the copy I have on my Mac Pro but it works on my Mac Book Pro go figure.
04/04/09 @ 13:47
Comment from: Nick Franken [Visitor] · http://www.nickfranken.com
Thankx man, I really stressed out on CS4. But with CS3 everything works fine.

Nick
05/28/09 @ 06:44
Comment from: James [Member] Email
glad it helped out.

James
06/16/09 @ 23:30
Comment from: Alex Viademo [Visitor]
Just my 2 cents worth. I tried this fix (a couple of times) by going to Control Panel - Fax-Printers and selecting something else as my default printer (I could not find a way to just deselect my R1900 as default without choosing something else). I even re-booted the system. Still CS4 has the same problems (colors are way too dark to the point of being completely off the chart profile I use).
On the other hand, I printed the exact same document (with same settings of course) from Lightroom 2.2 and colors are perfect !!!
07/02/09 @ 16:47
Comment from: Jonathan [Visitor]
Yes! This completely fixed the problem. How bizarre.
My prints from CS1 were perfect. From CS4 they were horrible!

My default printer was my Brother laser. When I switched it to my Epson 2200 and restarted Photoshop, the print looked exactly the same.

Here's what I'm thinking:
Somehow the profile for the other printer was being forced into the mix.

Adobe, please fix already!
10/07/09 @ 04:17
Comment from: Christopher Bunn [Visitor] Email
upgraded (or thought so) from mac g4 using photoshop 7 and epson 7800. now using, or trying to,
cs4 and mac 10.5.8 intel and again the 7800. prints are so dark with no separation in the mid to dark tones. tried all, latest drivers etc. etc. also setting the printer as the default. still dark prints. never never had this problem with photoshop 7. only trouble now is my g4 has gone and seven does not work on the latest mac! any thoughts?
10/30/09 @ 12:45
Comment from: James [Member] Email
I don't know if it is an option but what happens when you let the printer driver determine profile (as opposed to photoshop) does it look roughly close to what it should?
10/30/09 @ 14:37
Comment from: Christopher Bunn [Visitor]
James. Do I convert the profile of the image from adobe 1998 to the paper profile first then go through the print settings to select the printer to manage the colors?
Christopher
11/01/09 @ 06:58
Comment from: cal haines [Visitor] · http://www.newcanstudios.com
I was having the same dark print problem with cs4. When I printed in cs2 the colors popped but the colors were dull and darker in CS4. I did the above switch and now CS$ prints the same as CS2
thanks
11/03/09 @ 15:03
Comment from: James [Member] Email
happy to help.
01/21/10 @ 18:00
Comment from: Chris [Visitor]
I am haveing the same issue.I did notice that in CS4 I cant select "Perserve RGB" when using " Let printr determine color" The setting is grayed out unlike in CS3. Please help!!
01/27/10 @ 23:50
Comment from: Stu Berlin [Visitor]
I just installed CS4 last week. I can play as I wish, but I can't print. I see the comments about color issues, but I can't get the program to change paper sizes. I hit the print button, go through the dialog boxes and it gets sent to where? There's nothing in my queue. I just wanted a silly 4 x 6 to show a friend.
02/05/10 @ 13:59
Comment from: Joan [Visitor]
I had the same issue with Photoshop elements 8 and Epson r800. It was printing way too dark! I had to switch to printer manage color until I saw this post. After I switched the Epson R800 as a default printer, the output is normal again.
05/06/11 @ 12:17